Apple Pumpkin Crumb Bread
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 peeled apples cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 batch crumble topping
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Butter 4 loaf pans well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine pumpkin, oil, eggs, and buttermilk in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, dark brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, and baking soda. Stir into pumpkin mixture until JUST combined.
- Fold in apples and distribute evenly among loaf pans. The batter should come about halfway up the pan, don’t worry, there will be a LOT of crumble to top it off.
- Cover the top with crumble until only 1/4 of the pan is visible.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes or until wooden toothpick or skewer comes out with a few crumbs when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Smoosh all ingredients together with your hands until it will stick together when gently squeezed in your hand.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Carrie Fields @fieldsofcake.