Apple Spice Cake
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated (about 1 cup grated)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugars at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add oil and beat until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla; fold in apples. Spoon batter into greased pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread Brown Butter Buttercream frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
- Drizzle with Whiskey Caramel Sauce or traditional caramel sauce prior to serving, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Paula Jones @bellalimento.