Apple Spice Scones
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) very cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple such as Granny Smith
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, vanilla extract and dairy product. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- Grate butter (as you would cheese) on large holes of a grater directly onto flour mixture.
- Peel apple and cut in wedges. Remove core and cut each wedge lengthwise in 3 slices. Cut crosswise to obtain cubes. Place apple cubes onto flour mixture.
- Pour egg mixture on top and with hands press quickly together. Do not mix until all butter pieces have blended in. Pieces of butter are desired as they will create light and delicious scones.
- Press dough into a 10 inch diameter round. Cut in 10 equal pieces. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place in oven until golden, about 20 minutes or until edges are browned.
- For icing whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract and drizzle across scones.
First of all, this is DELICIOUS!!!! I love this recipe so much, and I made it for my family and they loved it! The only things I did different was, I did 2 smaller apples instead of one, and it was yummy :) Also I added a lot more milk than the recipe says (I added a little bit at a time) and next time I would probably make a bit more glaze. ("I want one with a LOT of frosting. :-)) So overall it was very fun to make and I would definitely make this again. Two thumbs up!!! ;)