- 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup (80 g) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (210g) all-purpose flour*
- 7 tablespoons (98g) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup (100g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (100g) almond flour
- 2 tablespoons (16g) all-purpose flour*
- 5-6 apples such as Golden delicious or Granny Smith or combo
- 2 tablespoons (25g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup (170g) apricot fruit spread, optional
- 1/2 cup (25g) toasted sliced almonds, optional
- Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, as needed
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step, and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile, chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside 8 individual tart pans, about 4 inches in diameter.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour. Remove about 1/6 of dough (keep remaining dough cold) and roll dough into a circle just large enough to cover tartlet pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Leftover dough trimmings need to be chilled immediately in the freezer as they will be needed to finish 7th and 8th tartlets.
- Repeat until all pans are lined with dough. Set aside.
- For filling, mix soft butter and sugar until well combined. Add one egg and mix until well combined. Add remaining egg, salt, and vanilla. Mix until fluffy.
- Add almond flour and all-purpose flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide equally into pans and spread evenly with a spoon. Turn on oven to 350°F.
- Peel apples and cut them into quarters. Remove core. Cut each wedge lengthwise into about 5-6 slices. Place on filling. Repeat until all done.
- Sprinkle with sugar and place in oven. Bake until golden on edges, about 30-35 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, remove from pans.
- If covering with apricot fruit spread, either press fruit spread thru a fine sieve or mix it smooth using a stick blender.
- Brush apple tarts with fruit spread; if too thick, dilute them with a small amount of water.
- Press toasted almond slices onto edges of apple tarts. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.