Apricot Almond Cake from Provence
- 2 cans apricots (15 oz each)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour* (many grocery stores sell in bulk)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour* or gluten free mix
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Drain apricots on paper towels and set aside.
- Spread soft butter on sides of an 8- or 9-inch round baking pan. Sprinkle with flour and tap out excess. To ensure easy removal from pan, place a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue creaming to obtain a light batter.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Add vanilla and almond extract and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add almond flour and sift all purpose flour into bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Place apricots very close together onto cake batter (apricots will shrink while baking). In every can, there will be some mushy apricots. Do not use them. Instead you can blend them and use them as sauce or to flavor sparkling water.
- Place cake in oven and bake approximately 40-45 minutes. If a 9-inch pan was used, baking time will be shorter.
- Let cake sit for 10 minutes. Place plastic food wrap on surface followed by a cutting board. Flip pan upside down and cake will fall out of pan. Remove parchment paper and place a serving tray on cake. Flip it upside down again. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Cake will remain tender for days and freezes very well.