Artisan Olive Focaccia Bread
- 3/4 cup bread flour*
- 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup water, room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 cups bread flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup olives, well drained and at room temperature!
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, finely chopped
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a 4 cup or larger bowl, combine flour 3/4 cup water and yeast with your hands or using a flat beater of a stand mixer. Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set aside at room temperature for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to bake, add second instant yeast to remaining water and add to previously made dough. Add salt and sugar and mix dough for about 5-6 minutes in mixer using a dough hook or by hand. Dough will be rather sticky and very soft which is desired for a chewy artisan outcome.
- Add room temperature olives and rosemary and mix gently to ensure that olives do not break up too much.
- Cover dough with plastic food wrap and allow to sit at room temperature until dough has doubled in size, about 60-80 minutes.
- Press dough to make it collapse (which is a necessary step) and fold it as an envelope to tighten and strengthen dough. Cover with plastic food wrap for 10 minutes.
- Set aside a buttered cookie sheet or a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. At this stage preheat oven to 425°F.
- Press and stretch dough into a rectangle measuring about 12 x 6 inches. Dough will be uneven resulting in part of focaccia almost crunchy while other parts will be more chewy (like a good pretzel).
- Cover with plastic food wrap and allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Place in oven (open and close oven very quickly) and bake until well browned, about 35 minutes.
- Cut and serve warm or store at room temperature in an airtight container.