Asian Grilled Chicken with Perfect Pear Relish
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, divided usage
- 1/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 large Asian pear, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh mint leaves (plus additional for optional garnish)
- Spoon soy sauce, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, brown sugar and garlic into a small saucepan; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Let cool, then spoon into a plastic zipper-top bag with chicken breasts. Let marinate in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, make relish by combining Asian pear, red bell pepper, jalapeño pepper, green onions and ginger root with remaining tablespoon vinegar and granulated sugar, blending well. Add mint leaves and reserve.
- Remove chicken from marinade, discarding marinade.
- Grill chicken over medium coals or gas flame for about 4 minutes on each side, or until tender and done.
- Remove to a cutting board and let rest for about 5 minutes, keeping warm. Cut chicken crosswise into slices; arrange on serving plates with relish; garnish with additional mint leaves, if desired.