Atlantic Beach Pie
- 1 1/2 sleeves standard, salted saltine crackers
- 1/2 cup (100g) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons (37.5g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup (180g) fresh lemon or lime juice or a combo of both
- 1 can + 2/3 cup (660g) sweetened condensed milk
- 6 large egg yolks
Whipped Cream and Finishing
- 1 cup (240g) whipping or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons (37.5 g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 lemons or limes
- Set oven to 350°F. Using a rolling pin or food processor, crush saltines. Part will be finely crushed while other part can be almost size of a half pea.
- Melt butter and add along with sugar. Mix until combined.
- Press evenly into a 9-inch-deep pie tin. Place in oven for 13-14 minutes or until edges are light golden.
- In a bowl whisk together sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks, once well combined add citrus juice.
- Pour into prebaked crust and place in oven. Bake until center of pie no longer trembles, about 18-20 minutes. Time will ultimately depend on type of pie vessel.
- Pie has to be completely cool before topping with whipped cream.
- Whip cream, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl to firm peaks.
- Decorate pie with lemon slices and sprinkle with lemon or lime zest if desired.
Pie pans vary in depth. For this dessert, select a pie pan that can hold 6-7 cups of water.