Aunt Cora’s Gingerbread
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup shortening, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and water; cook on low and slowly bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat softened shortening, sugar and egg together with an electric mixer until very light and fluffy.
- Sift flour and baking powder, salt and spices.
- Add soda to sour milk and mix thoroughly (or alternatively use buttermilk). Add to egg mixture alternately with dry ingredients. Thin mixture with brown sugar syrup just before last portion of flour is added.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- While gingerbread is cooling, prepare topping. Whip 1 cup heavy whipped cream until stiff and sweeten with brown sugar and nutmeg.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe originally published in 1940 as Halloween Gingerbread on page 16 of Aunt Cora's cookbook.