Back Packer Fruit Treats
- 2 medium apples, pared and chopped
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- You will also need: saucepan with lid, chopping knife, paring knife, mixing spoon, measuring cups and spoons, blender or food processor, cookie sheets, spatula, wire cooling rack and wax paper
- Wash, cut cores out and chop apples. Cook apples, cranberries and water in a covered saucepan over medium heat until apples are softened for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Process smooth in a blender or food processor. Spread in 4 circles, 1/8 inch thick on 2 greased cookie sheets.
- Dry in oven at 150°F degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Lift edges with spatula and refrigerate to cool. Store rolled between sheets of waxed paper.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Level of Difficulty: Easy
Great for an afternoon snack! Click here to see our 1972 TV commercial for My First Cookbook!
These were really easy to make, and so much healthier than the store bought variety. You can use other berries for variety too. Blueberries would be delicious.