Baked Pistachio Doughnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 package (3.4 oz – 4 serving size) instant pistachio pudding mix (do not use sugar-free)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios
Glaze and Pistachio Topping
- 1 cup sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon milk, + 1-2 teaspoons additional as needed
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped pistachios, for garnish
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Spray doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, pudding mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small separate bowl, combine buttermilk, egg, canola oil and almond extract. Pour over dry ingredients and mix just until combined, being careful not to over mix. The batter will be thick and stiff. Toss pistachios with 1 teaspoon flour, then gently fold into batter.
- With a small spoon, scoop batter into prepared doughnut pan until each “well” is 3/4 full, then smooth out surface. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and doughnut springs back lightly when touched. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then removing from pan to cool completely.
- Prepare glaze: In a medium bowl whisk together powdered sugar, honey, milk and salt until smooth. Add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, as necessary to create a thick but still pourable glaze. Once doughnuts have completely cooled, dip them top-side down into glaze. Return doughnuts to wire rack and sprinkle immediately with chopped pistachios. Allow glaze set and serve.
Storage Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Divide any stacked doughnuts with layers of wax paper.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Clarke @WellPlated.