Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, must be at room temperature
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup peanut butter (preferably not organic, just standard type)
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A few tablespoons of milk, if needed
- 1 small dark chocolate bar, any size
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2, 9-inch cake pans and fit a round sheet of parchment on the bottom to ensure a flawless removal from pans. Set aside.
- Puree bananas in a blender and measure 1 cup. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer mix soft shortening or butter and sugar until very well blended. Add vanilla and one egg and mix until fully incorporated and mixture becomes lighter.
- Add remaining egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add one-fourth of dry ingredients and once combined add half of banana puree. Add another one-fourth of dry ingredients and once combined add remaining banana puree. Add another one-fourth of dry ingredients followed by buttermilk and remaining dry ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and spread until surface is smooth.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger and until you see cake slightly retracting from the sides in a few areas. About 25-28 minutes.
- Turn baked cakes upside down onto plastic food film. Do not remove parchment paper from cakes yet.
- To prepare frosting, mix soft butter and peanut butter until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and mixing in between additions.
- Add vanilla. Depending on peanut butter used, frosting may need to be slightly more spreadable. If needed, add a touch of milk.
- Place cake round on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Spread a one-third of frosting on cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Frost sides and top of cake.
- Fill a piping bag with a small round pastry tube with remaining frosting and pipe curls all over the surface.
- Grate chocolate on a box grater and sprinkle the surface. Chocolate which was stored in a warmer part of the house will make the most beautiful curls.
Dixie Crystals Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.