Banana Cream Chiffon Cake
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 1 + 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 7 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 4 limes or lemons
- 7 egg whites (no yolk traces)
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Banana Cream Filling
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 lime or lemon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 pint strawberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Sift together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk water, egg yolks, oil, vanilla, and lime zest. Whisk in dry sifted ingredients.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites,1/2 cup sugar, and cream of tartar to medium peaks. Fold whipped meringue into above batter, do not over fold to ensure a light and airy mixture.
- Scrape batter into a 9- or 10-inch ungreased tube pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 60-70 minutes.
- Turn pan upside down and allow to cool.
- Run a knife around edges of pan to loosen cake and set a wire rack to cool completely.
- For pastry cream ,combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Over medium high heat whisk ingredients to a full boil until it thickens and makes thick bubbles.
- Remove from heat and pour in a bowl. Place plastic food film onto surface of cream and place in refrigerator, or better yet, on a bowl filled with ice.
- Once cooled add vanilla and stir cream until smooth.
- Cut bananas into slices and toss in a small amount of lime or lemon juice. Stir into cream.
- Whip whipping cream in a cold bowl until it makes medium firm peaks. Do not whip stiff as you would for piping rosettes onto pies and cakes.
- Gently fold half of whipped cream into banana cream.
- Using a pairing knife, cut a 2-3-inch-deep channel out middle of cake, retaining a 1-inch wall on each side.
- Add half of banana cream into channel.
- Whip remaining whipped cream just slightly firmer until it holds it shape. Using a large star tip pipe cream on surface of cake.
- Decorate with strawberries.
Bananas can easily be replaced with berries of any kind. Just replace the bananas in the cream filling with 1-pint of your berry of choice.