Banana Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 3/4 cup (7 oz) Graham crackers
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- (Alternatively, you can use 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust)
Banana Cream Filling
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk or 1 3/4 milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, optional
- 3 large bananas
- 1 lime
- 1 cup (8 oz) whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons chopped chocolate
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Crush graham crackers in a food processor or underneath a rolling pin. Mix with melted butter and sugar. Press on bottom and sides of a deep dish 9.5-inch pie tin.
- Place in oven for 12-14 minutes or until edges are golden and crisp. Set aside.
- In a saucepan whisk egg yolk with 5-6 tablespoons (coconut) milk, add cornstarch and flour and mix very well, add remaining milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil while constantly whisking, once the mixture has thickened remove from heat.
- Add vanilla extract, rum, and butter and whisk smooth. Cover with plastic food wrap and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Peel 3 bananas and cut in 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick slices. Pour juice of a half lime over bananas and toss gently to coat all sides. Transfer bananas into pie shell.
- Stir cream filling until smooth again. Once it has cooled to a lukewarm temperature scrape cream into pie covering the bananas. Place in refrigerator.
- Once pie has been refrigerated for about 30 minutes or longer combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and whip to medium but not stiff peaks. Spread on pie.
- Place chocolate in a small bowl and melt in microwave oven in 10 second intervals. If needed add a teaspoon of oil to make the chocolate more fluid. Do not add water as this will thicken it.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cream.
- Cut remaining banana and toss in juice using remaining lime. Scatter bananas on pie.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
The amount of starch in the recipe will create a soft texture that will not give you perfect slices. If you prefer a filling that holds firmly, add an extra tablespoon cornstarch.