Banana Nut Bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Crisco or unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat pans with cooking spray or shortening; set aside.
- Cream Crisco or butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Stir in mashed bananas.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour with salt and baking soda. Add nuts.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix just until everything comes together.
- Pour mixture into two greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Invert banana bread onto wire rack and cool completely before slicing.
Note from Susan: This is my mother’s classic recipe for Banana Nut Bread.