Banana Pudding Layer Cake
Moist Yellow Cake
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil, (any type will do including non-virgin olive oil or avocado)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
Banana Cream Filling
- 1 (3.4 oz) box instant banana pudding mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 2-3 fresh bananas, sliced
- 1 (16 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- More vanilla wafers to encircle bottom edge of cake
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Low oven temperature is not a typing error.
- Butter and flour 3 eight or nine-inch cake pans and fit with a round sheet of parchment on bottom for easy removal.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer or a sturdy hand whisk, mix oil and eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk until completely smooth.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add sifted ingredients in one step and mix until batter is smooth. Do not mix more than necessary.
- Add hot water and vinegar and mix until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger and until you see cake retracting from the sides in a few areas—about 30 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool for about 10-15 minutes before removing from pans. Level tops of cakes. Set aside.
- For banana cream filling, add both pudding mixes, cream cheese, and vanilla extract to a medium-sized bowl and beat until smooth. Gradually add half & half and continue to beat until mixture begins to thicken.
- Assemble cake by spreading half of banana cream pudding mixture on top of first layer of cake, followed by a layer of vanilla wafers and half of the banana slices. Top with second cake layer and repeat. Place third cake layer on top.
- Cover top and sides of assembled cake with whipped topping, using a small offset spatula to smooth. Garnish bottom rim of cake with vanilla wafers, and using a star tip, pipe additional whipped cream on top of cake.
- Allow cake to chill in a refrigerator for several hours before serving.