- 3 cups raisins (dark or golden) and currants
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 Constant Comment® tea bags, or plain black tea bags
- 1 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- Zest of one orange
- 3 cups self-rising flour*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place raisins and currants in a bowl. Heat water to boiling. Remove from heat, add tea bags and let steep 3-4 minutes. Remove tea bags. Whisk in brown sugar. Pour over fruit, stir, cover, and let sit overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 X 5-inch loaf pan. Cut a piece of parchment to fit bottom only. Butter parchment paper.
- Stir orange zest into fruit/tea mixture. Whisk flour and spices together. Stir in beaten egg. Mix will be dry. In two additions, stir in fruit with all of liquid. Add Greek yogurt, stirring just until incorporated and no dry flour remains.
- Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake 55 minutes, then quickly open oven, place a sheet of foil loosely over top to prevent overbrowning. Continue baking 30 minutes more.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Brush with honey. Let cool completely, or until just warm, before slicing with a serrated knife. Serve with tea and softened butter.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments