Bavarian Potato Coffee Cake
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 cup mashed Russet potato (loosely packed, about 1/3 pound, cooled to a lukewarm temperature)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 3/4 - 3 cups all purpose flour*, plus flour for kneading
- 2 ounces slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sprinkle yeast and 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar over the warm milk. Stir together and allow mixture to sit until bubbly, 3-4 minutes. Beat together yeast mixture, mashed potato, salt, butter and egg.
- Gradually add flour and knead (with a mixer or your hands) on a lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Turn dough into a large greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1-2 hours. Punch dough down, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, if desired.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan. Divide dough in half and press one half lightly into prepared pan. Sprinkle dough with half of almonds and 2 tablespoons of dried cherries. Combine remaining 1 cup of dark brown sugar with melted butter and sprinkle half of this mixture over almonds and cherries.
- Top with remaining dough, almonds, 2 tablespoons of dried cherries and remaining brown sugar and butter mixture. Let cake stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place pan over a piece of foil (to catch any drips). Bake cake, uncovered for 35 minutes. Beat heavy cream with vanilla until firm and spread whipped cream over the top of cake. Arrange dried apricots and rest of dried cherries over cream and bake for another 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve warm.