Berries and Cream Chocolate Cake Roll
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
Berries & Cream Filling
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries, cut in half if needed
- 3/4 cup diced fresh strawberries
- Extra berries for decorating top of cake
- 1/4 cup chocolate curls
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with baking spray and line it with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract for 5 minutes until thick and pale.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to egg mixture and beat until just mixed in.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan 2 minutes.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of cake and flip cake out onto cooling rack.
- Peel bottom parchment off cake slowly. Place another clean sheet of parchment on cake.
- Starting at short side of cake, roll cake up with parchment in it. Let cake cool completely.
- Chill metal bowl and wire whisk attachment in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and extract until stiff peaks form. Spoon half of filling into another bowl.
- Stir berries gently into whipped cream left in mixing bowl.
- Unroll cake, removing parchment. Spread berry whipped cream over cake.
- Roll cake up slowly. Place seam side down on serving plate.
- Cover cake with reserved whipped cream. Decorate top of cake with extra berries and chocolate curls, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jocelyn Brubaker @InsideBruCrewLife.