Berry Delicious Cake
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup any type of vegetable oil, including non-virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- 2/3 cup strawberry fruit spread
- 2/3 cup blueberry or blackberry fruit spread
Extra Smooth & Creamy Buttercream
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, super soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen blackberries (do not use fresh)
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pint fresh blackberries (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour 3, 8 or 9-inch cake pans and fit a round sheet of parchment on bottom for easy removal.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer or a sturdy hand whisk, mix oil and eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk until completely smooth.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add sifted ingredients in one step and mix until batter is smooth. Do not mix more than necessary.
- Add hot water and vinegar and mix until combined.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven. Bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger and until you see cake retracting from sides in a few areas - about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before turning upside down onto plastic food film, a kitchen towel or parchment paper. Leave parchment paper on cakes until indicated below.
- Prepare easy frosting per the recipe instruction.
- If preparing Extra Smooth & Creamy Buttercream, note that all ingredients should be a room temperature. Whip soft butter until fluffy. Add sugar and salt and mix until well combined.
- Add evaporated milk 2 tablespoons at a time waiting for previously added amount to be fully incorporated before adding next. Do not rush this process. Add vanilla. If cream is no longer light and creamy or looks slightly curdled, heat the outside of the mixing bowl with a hairdryer while beating. Heavy or curdled looking cream is a result of cold ingredients and is easily remedied by using heat.
- To assemble cake, place one cake layer on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Spread cake layer with blueberry or blackberry fruit spread 1/2 inch away from cake sides.
- Cover with another cake layer, remove parchment and spread similarly with strawberry fruit spread. Cover with remaining cake layer and remove parchment.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting on sides and surface to trap cake crumbs. Place in fridge or freezer until layer of frosting has hardened, about 15 minutes.
- Coat with a second layer of frosting. Using a piping bag fitted with a medium star tip, pipe a circle of rosettes on surface of cake. Set aside.
- For blackberry compote topping place defrosted blackberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add to mixture once it is boiling.
- Boil until it makes bubbles and has thickened, remove from heat. Let cool completely before spreading onto center of cake.
- If desired, scatter fresh blackberries on sides of cake.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments