Biscoff Style Speculoos Ornament Cookies
- Prepare biscoff style or speculoos dough and preferably place in the refrigerator overnight or for several days.
- When ready to bake, prepare cookie sheets. The cut cookies can be placed either on parchment paper or lightly buttered cookie sheets. Set aside and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove about 1/4 of dough and roll to the height of five stacked credit cards thick (about 1/6 inch).*
- Cut with snowflake cookie cutter and place on prepared cookie sheets. If cutter comes with an additional cutter to cut holes, cut holes while cookies are on the cookie sheet.
- Place in oven. The cookies will slowly rise and then collapse; once they have collapsed they are close to being done. When pressed lightly with a finger they should spring back.
- Allow to cool. If they are not crisp enough when cool, return to oven for a few more minutes. The cookies should be crisp when cooled.
- Prepare royal icing and place in a small paper cone or plastic bag. Cut tip of cone/bag and decorate as desired.
- Press pearls into icing.
- Cookies will last a few weeks when stored in an airtight plastic bag.
*The easiest way to roll the dough is on a lightly floured parchment paper. This will allow you to easily transfer dough back to a refrigerator in case dough gets sticky. Otherwise, roll dough on a lightly floured surface. If dough is not properly chilled, or if working in a warm kitchen, it can be difficult to work with. Pre-chill your work surface placing a couple of cookie sheets filled with ice on the area where you will be rolling the dough.