Black Bottom Coconut Cream Pie
No Fail Crisp Pie Crust
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup (3 oz) chocolate, 50-60% cocoa
Coconut Cream Filling
- 1 can (14.5 oz) coconut milk, not reduced fat
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (3 tablespoons for a firmer set)
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup coconut flakes, sweetened or unsweetened (for garnish)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for about 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside a 8- or 9-inch pie pan.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie pan. Place dough into pie pan and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick holes all around bottom using a fork and place pie crust in the oven. After baking for about 5-8 minutes check crust to ensure that dough is not forming bubbles on the bottom. If so, prick bubbles with a paring knife or fork. Bake until light golden brown, about 12-15 minutes and remove from oven.
- Scatter coconut onto a cookie sheet and toast for approximately 10 minutes or until golden. Toss coconut near end of toasting. Set aside.
- Prepare ganache by bringing whipping cream and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate. Pour into prebaked pie crust and set aside.
- Prepare coconut cream filling by combining coconut milk, sugar, egg yolks, flour, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Over medium-high heat, continually whisk mixture until it boils and thick bubbles form.
- Remove from heat and pour in a bowl. Cover with plastic food film and place in the refrigerator until cold, about 40 minutes.
- Whip whipping cream to medium firm peaks, but not as firm as you would to pipe rosettes onto a cake or pie.
- Remove pie filling from refrigerator and stir until smooth. Add half of whipped cream and fold together.
- Spread filling over ganache into pie crust. Cover with remaining whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.