Black Forest Cupcakes
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/4 cups cherry pie filling (store bought or our homemade Cherry Pie Filling)
- 1/2 cup chocolate curls/chocolate shavings
- 24 cherries from cherry pie filling
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Next, add in eggs, milk, and oil. Mix well. Stir in cherry extract. Carefully mix in boiling water.
- Batter will be liquid.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners that have been placed into a cupcake tray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Once cool, use a small knife or spoon to carve a plug from middle of cupcake. Fill each cupcake with 1/2 tablespoon cherry pie filling. Cover cherry pie filling with cupcake pieces.
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to whisk heavy cream and vanilla until frothy, about 45 seconds. Slowly add powdered sugar and mix on medium high speed for 3 minutes.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake.
- Cover bottom section of frosting on each cupcake with 1 teaspoon of chocolate curls. Add 1 cherry to top of each cupcake.
- Tip: To make homemade chocolate curls/chocolate shavings, use a vegetable peeler on the side of a chocolate bar in short sharp motions to shave off tiny chocolate curls.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Whipped Cream frosting does need to be refrigerated and eaten within 2 days.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.