Black Forest Push Up Pops
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup cocoa powder, natural or non Dutched
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup brewed coffee, warm or hot
- 1 cup cherry jam
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cherries
- Crème Chantilly
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two (8 or 9-inch) cake pans and set aside. (Placing a round piece of parchment on bottom of cake pan will ensure a removal without problems.)
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and baking powder and set aside.
- In a bowl beat eggs until smooth. Add melted butter and beat until well blended. Add buttermilk and vanilla extract. Beat in sugar.
- Add flour mixture and beat on low until just combined and no lumps remain.
- Add coffee in 3 additions ensuring a smooth batter before adding more coffee.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and place in oven. Bake for approximately 35-45 minutes (depending on cake pan size used) or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before turning over and removing from pan. Let cool.
- Wrap one of cakes tightly and place in freezer for later use. Using a serrated knife cut away sticky surface of he remaining cake.
- Cut cake horizontally in half. Using a round cutter with same dimensions as interior of pop molds, cut 24 circles. (if you do not have a round cutter use pop mold itself to cut circles)
- Place a cake circle on bottom of each pop and place pops in glasses to keep them stable and upright. Drop a tablespoon of cherry jam in each. Add 1-2 fresh pitted cherries or 1-2 frozen cherries on top.
- Cover with a tablespoon of Crème Chantilly followed by a slice of cake. Add another tablespoon of jam and a few cherries.
- Top with Crème Chantilly and a cherry.
This photo also shows the Raspberry and Cream Push Up Pop.