Black Velvet Cauldron Cupcakes
- Black Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons black food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Lime green food color
- Eyeball, bone and green sprinkles
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Mix oil and sugar for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add egg and fully incorporate. Add food coloring and vanilla extract and mix to combine. More coloring can be added at your own discretion.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Add 1/3 to above mixture, mix until just combined.
- Combine buttermilk and vinegar and add 1/2 to above mixture, mixing until just combined. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix, repeat with remaining buttermilk and remaining flour.
- Using a cookie scoop or disher, portion batter into cupcake liners, slightly more than 1/2 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Mix cream cheese and soft butter on low speed until blended. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and mix on low speed until well blended. Gradually add remaining powdered sugar and mix on low to medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and food color and mix well.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a coupler and #12 round piping tip. Have a #7 round tip handy for piping small bubbles. Pip a small mound in center of cupcake for height, then build off that by creating frosting “bubbles”. Alternate sizes of bubbles and sprinkle with green nonpareils, and eyeball and bone specialty sprinkles.
Recipe developed by Terri Truscello Miller @LoveandConfections.