Blackberry and Blueberry Pandowdy
- 3 cups blackberries
- 3 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- For dusting Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Optional: Vanilla ice cream
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add berries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a 9-inch cast iron skillet or 2 quart casserole dish. Toss to combine. Bake for 25 minutes.
- When berries have finished baking, remove from oven, but leave in pan/casserole dish.
- Create batter by whisking together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together milk, egg, and extracts. Add wet ingredients to dry batter mixture and mix to combine. Pour in melted butter and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter over the berries and spread evenly over pan. Bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and berries are bubbly.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.