Blackberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 cups fresh blackberries (small to medium-sized berries)
- 1 tablespoon flour (for berries)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss blackberries with flour, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and lemon juice until smooth. Stir wet ingredients into dry until almost fully combined; do not over-mix. Fold blackberries in by hand.
- For crumb topping, in a large bowl, stir granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, and lemon zest together. Add butter cubes and cut it in until mixture resembles a coarse crumb.
- Distribute batter to each muffin liner, filling 2/3 full and sprinkle crumble on top. Place muffins in oven and immediately turn down heat to 375°F degrees. Bake muffins for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan until completely cooled
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystalsby Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.
Super yummy, I made the mistake of using very large blackberries so there was more berry than muffin but that didn’t change how tasty they were. Recipe makes a lot of crumble so I had extra.
I wanted to love this recipe as it has two flavors I love: blackberries and lemon. I followed this recipe exactly. The muffins are very dry. The crumb topping seems not to correct proportions as it did not credit crumbs. Maybe it should have less flour or more butter.
I made these and they are fantastic! So light but yet so rich in flavor. I used blueberries and these are perfection!