- 4-6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen (plus more for skillet)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Gold ‘N Natural Turbinado Sugar or sparkling sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 12-inch cast-iron skillet. Pour blueberries into skillet. Add 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Stir and let macerate while preparing dough.
- Whisk flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Remove butter from freezer and grate on large holes of a box grater. Stir into flour mixture. Whisk cream with vanilla bean paste and egg. Pour into flour and stir until a dough forms and no dry flour remains.
- Dollop dough over blueberries, a large cookie scoop works well here. Once dough has been distributed, press it lightly with back of a spoon. Scatter turbinado or sparkling sugar over biscuit dough.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until topping is lightly golden and blueberries are bubbling. Remove from oven and let rest at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm topped with vanilla ice cream.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.