Blueberry Cream Cheese Windmills
- 2 cups (9 ounces) all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Blueberry Cream Cheese Topping
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blueberry preserves
- 1 egg white
- Optional, 1-2 tablespoons sliced almonds or frozen blueberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For cookie dough, whisk flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in egg, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Divide dough in half and place each half in a large zip-top bag.
- Flatten dough in each bag into a large square.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For topping, preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Dust your workspace with flour.
- Take one piece of dough out of bag and roll it out to about 1/16-inch thickness.
- Cut a 10-inch square out of center of dough. Then, cut that large square into 2 1/2-inch squares.
- Place squares of cookie dough on parchment paper-lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Make 1-inch cuts from each corner toward center of square, leaving a small un-cut circle in middle of each cookie.
- Brush egg white over each cookie dough square.
- Drop a 1/2 teaspoon of cream cheese filling in center of each cookie. Then, drop a 1/2 teaspoon of blueberry preserves over cream cheese filling.
- Fold alternating points of square cookie dough into center over filling forming a windmill.
- Brush egg white over folded points.
- If desired, sprinkle some finely chopped sliced almonds over cookies and press a whole sliced almond or a frozen blueberry in center of each cookie.
- Bake one tray of cookies at a time for 10-12 minutes until edges of cookies turn golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes, then move to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Repeat this process with second bag of cookie dough.
- These cookies are best eaten day they are baked. Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.