Blueberry Johnny Cakes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups blueberries fresh (if using frozen, keep in freezer until ready to add to batter)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Maple syrup, as needed
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat a pancake griddle to 320°F and set aside or use a large nonstick pan.
- Whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs until smooth. Add water and milk and whisk well. Add vanilla and 5 tablespoons melted butter.
- Add flour mixture and whisk until combined. Toss/stir in blueberries.
- The first few minutes batter will look slightly wet; however, cornmeal will absorb moisture and consequently after about 5-8 minutes, batter will be perfect.
- Heat a nonstick pan or use preheated pancake griddle. If desired, melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan.
- Before dropping lots of batter, test with a small amount first to test right heat setting.
- Using a ladle drop 1/2 cup amounts a few inches apart.
- When edges of pancakes are starting to set and bottoms are golden flip upside down and cook until done. About 3 minutes total.
- Serve with syrup and powdered confectioner’s sugar if desired.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments