Blueberry Pound Cake
Blueberry Pound Cake
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Zest of 2 oranges (no white bitter pith)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup blueberries (frozen defrosted blueberries will deliver deepest purple hue)
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss blueberries and 3 tablespoons flour together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Butter and flour an angel food cake or Bundt pan. Set aside.
- Sift together 2 3/4 cups flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and scraping bowl in between egg additions. Mixture needs to be light and fluffy. If it is dense, remedy by heating sides of bowl with a blow dryer while mixing batter.
- Add orange zest, vanilla, and salt. Stop mixer and in one step add all dry ingredients. Mix gently just until combined. Scrape bottom of bowl well and stir to combine. Do not add blueberries yet.
- Transfer about 1/5 of batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with about 1/4 of blueberries ensuring that blueberries do not touch pan.
- Repeat with 1/5 of batter followed by 1/4 of blueberries until all is used.
- Place in oven and bake for about 75-80 minutes or until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If cake’s surface gets too dark during last 20 minutes of baking, drape with aluminum foil.
- Once cake has cooled prepare glaze. Smash or blend blueberries. Add powdered sugar and salt.
- Spread glaze onto cake and sprinkle with additional fresh blueberries.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Although the ingredient composition is actual pound cake, this batter is baked in either an angel food cake or Bundt pan. These types of vessels are better suited to deal with the fact that blueberries release lots of steam during the baking process. Because of that, using a standard loaf pan instead, would result in very long baking time with a thick crust.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments