Boston Cream Pie
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Vanilla Custard Filling
- 1 packaged instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces good quality chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease two 9-inch cake pans. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar, beat until well combined. Add vanilla, stirring to combine. Beat in eggs one at a time, until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding milk and flour mixture into batter until everything is incorporated.
- Evenly pour into prepared pans. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before removing cakes from pans. Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare vanilla custard filling. In a large bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk together for 2 minutes.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat heavy cream to stiff peaks. Mix in sugar and vanilla. Fold whipped cream and pudding together. Store in the fridge for 1 hour until cakes are fully cool.
- Prepare glaze just before assembly. Heat heavy cream until warm, but not boiling. Add chocolate and stir until well combined. Add butter and mix until melted.
- To assemble, place first cake on a large plate. Spoon vanilla custard filling over cake (you may not use all of it). Gently place second cake layer on top. Pour chocolate glaze over top of cake. Chill until ready to serve.
- Store in fridge, covered, for up to 3 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments