Boston Cream Pie
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Custard Filling
- 1 packaged instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 1/2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces good quality chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generally grease two 9-inch cake pans.
- In an electric mixer bowl combine butter and sugar, beat until well combined. Add vanilla, stirring to combine. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Alternate adding milk and flour mixture into batter until everything is incorporated.
- Pour into the 2 prepared pans. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before removing from the pan, to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling. In a large bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk together for 2 minutes.
- In bowl of an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks. Mix in sugar and vanilla. Fold whipped cream and pudding together. Store in fridge for 1 hour until cake is fully cool.
- Prepare glaze right before you are ready to assemble cake. Heat heavy cream until warm, but not boiling. Add chocolate and stir until well combined. Add butter and mix until melted.
- To assemble, place on cake on a large plate. Spoon filling over the cake (you may not use all of it). Gently place other cake over filling. Pour chocolate glaze over top of cake. Chill until ready to serve.
- Store in fridge, covered for up to 3 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.