- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Nonstick spray
- In saucepan over medium heat combine sweetened condensed milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, butter, and salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens and begins to pull away from sides of saucepan, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Spread powdered sugar on a plate. Lightly spray hand with nonstick cooking spray. With a spoon scoop out heaping tablespoon of chocolate mixture and with hands roll into smooth ball, then roll into powdered sugar until lightly coated.
- Place Brigadeiro on plate, chill until ready to serve.
Brigadeiros are named after Brigadeiro Eduardo Gomes, a Brazilian Air Force officer who ran for president in 1945. The sweet became popular during his campaign, and it has since become a beloved treat throughout Brazil. Today, brigadeiros are enjoyed around the world, and variations of the recipe can be found in many countries.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com.