- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 16 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (or chips)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Chalk Board Decoration
- 1/4 teaspoon Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Reserved 3 tablespoons white frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil or with parchment paper sprayed with baking spray.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda together in a bowl. Mix with a fork or whisk until well combined.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high power for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Let sit for 3 minutes then stir again. Heat for 30 more seconds. Let sit in microwave for 3 minutes then remove and stir until melted. If needed, heat for 10 second bursts, stirring after each, until melted.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and sugar until well combined.
- Pour chocolate, oil, salt, and vanilla extract into egg mixture and stir well.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 38-42 minutes until the edges are set and center of feels slightly firm when pressed.
- Remove and allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Level top of brownie using a serrated bread knife to trim off domed edges.
- Set a cutting board over top of brownie and flip it upside down onto a serving platter, cake board, or cutting board.
- Beat butter and shortening using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop out 3 tablespoons of white frosting and spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a #4 round pastry tip. Set aside.
- Add peanut butter and 1 teaspoon cocoa powder to the remaining frosting. Beat until well combined, adding additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if needed to thin out frosting.
- Spoon tan colored frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a #125 petal pastry tip. Pipe a frame of tan frosting around the border of brownie. Pipe a second layer on top of the first to make the frame thicker.
- Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Combine heavy whipping cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high power for 1 minute. Let bowl sit in microwave for 5 minutes. Remove and stir until melted and smooth. If needed, heat for 10 second bursts of high power, stirring after each, until melted.
- Pour chocolate ganache into a thin layer over brownie in between the peanut butter frosting frame.
- Let the ganache firm up for at least 2 hours.
Chalk Board Decoration:
- Before serving, dust powdered sugar over chocolate ganache.
- Using a soft bristle pastry brush, sweep powdered sugar across the chalkboard a few times.
- Use white frosting to add letters, numbers, and stick drawings to the chalkboard.
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.