- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 5 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar, sifted
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cake: preheat oven to 350° F. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, add in flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together on low speed until combined.
- With mixer still on low add in eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, mixing until just combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary. Slowly stream in coffee and mix until smooth and combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until center is set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Place cake pan on a wire cooling rack and allow it to cool completely. Level top of cake with a serrated knife, if it domes when it bakes, so top is flat.
- Vanilla Frosting: In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment mix butter until smooth on medium speed. Add in powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon of milk, and vanilla and continue mixing for 2 minutes until creamy, scraping sides of bowl as necessary, adding more milk if frosting is too stiff.
- Place frosting in a piping bag with a 1-inch round tip, or simply snip bottom of bag with scissors. Pipe frosting into long tubes width-wise across cake about 1 inch apart. Place cake in freezer while you prepare chocolate icing.
- Chocolate Icing: In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt together butter, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil and, whisking constantly, boil for 2 minutes. Slowly add in powdered sugar, continuing to whisk until combined. Continue to cook and whisk for 4-5 minutes until mixture is smooth and glossy. Remove from heat.
- Transfer icing into a glass bowl and allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes, whisking frequently, until it is warm, but not hot.
- Remove cake from freezer and pour chocolate icing on top, coating vanilla frosting first, and then carefully filling in rest of top of cake, spreading it gently if needed, careful not to disturb vanilla frosting. Allow chocolate icing to set before serving.