Buttered Pecan Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large saucepan, whisk heavy cream, milk and brown sugar on medium-low heat until very warm (not boiling). Whisk frequently so bottom of pot doesn’t scorch, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks. Pour 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks and whisk vigorously to temper eggs and then whisk in 1/2 cup more at a time until all is added.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. When you run your finger through the custard on the spoon, the line from your finger will stay when it is thickened enough.
- Pour custard into a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap touching top and refrigerate until very cold, about one hour.
- When mixture is cold and ready to be churned, prepare pecans. Melt butter in a skillet on medium heat, add pecans and toss them around until toasted, 3-5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Remove custard from refrigerator and whisk in vanilla. Pour into ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold in chopped toasted pecans with a rubber spatula by hand.
- Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze at least 5 hours or overnight until firm.
Dixie Crystals Insight
TIP: If eggs start to cook during the thickening process, pour the custard through a fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove pieces and continue on with the recipe as directed.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @sprinklesomesugar.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments