- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron to its highest setting. The higher wattage the iron has, the crisper the exterior will be, while obtaining a tender moist interior.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk together eggs and egg white. Add vanilla and buttermilk.
- Melt butter and whisk into buttermilk mixture. Once well-combined, whisk in dry ingredients. Mix just until smooth, do not unnecessarily whisk.
- When using a nonstick waffle iron, it is not necessary to butter or spray iron prior to filling with batter.
- Use a ladle to fill iron. Total cooking time will be about 3 minutes depending on wattage of iron.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.