- Graham 9-inch pie shell or standard pie shell
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 6 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F. Best results are obtained by pre-baking graham pie shell. If a standard pie shell is used, also pre-baking is necessary. Prepare as usual or follow manufacturer’s directions.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients, combine milk and 1 cup brown sugar and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile place egg yolks in a separate bowl, add remaining brown sugar and very rapidly whisk until well combined. Add cornstarch and salt and whisk until completely smooth.
- Add about a cup of boiling milk to egg yolk bowl and whisk rapidly. Pour bowl into boiling milk and whisk until thick bubbles form and custard has thickened.** Thickening will happen very quickly.
- Remove from heat and do not whisk any longer as this will break down this mixture and make it runny.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir gently using a spatula or whisk. Once combined pour into prebaked pie shell. Let set in refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, prepare whipped cream. Top with whipped cream just before serving, if desired.
**Continue to stir gently during entire cooking period. Stirring too vigorously may cause mixture to break down and thin out. Significantly overcooking thickened mixtures such as puddings, pies and cake fillings may cause mixture to thin out as it cools.