- 1 pound 8 ounces (or about that amount) fresh ginger
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Peel ginger, some prefer using a paring knife while others use edge of a spoon.
- Cut in 1/8-inch-thick slices, either crosswise for smaller pieces or lengthwise for larger ones.
- Place in a saucepan and cover ginger with water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling turn to low simmer for 25 minutes.
- Drain ginger and return to pan. Add sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup water. Bring back to a boil, and once boiling simmer on low for about 35 minutes or until an inserted thermometer reads 225°F. When checking temperature, ensure that thermometer is deeply inserted to obtain a correct reading.
- Remove from heat. Using tongs or a fork, remove ginger from syrup, shake well to remove as much as possible syrup from ginger slices. Place on silicone sheets or parchment paper.
- After about 90 minutes ginger may be ready to be tossed in sugar. Start with a few and ensure that sugar does not melt. If it does allow ginger slices to dry more.
- Keep in an airtight container. Ginger will last a long time.