Candied Orange Peel Almond Brownies
- 1 1/4 cups whole or slivered almonds
- 8 ounces (3/4 cup) well-packed chopped candied orange peel + more for garnish if desired
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa, natural, non-dutched
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips, 45-55% cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter all sides of a 11x8-inch pan. For easy removal, line bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place almonds on a cookie sheet in oven for 12-15 minutes or until fragrant. Toasting almonds can be omitted if desired.
- Cut candied orange peels into 1/2-inch squares and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- Cut butter in cubes and place in a bowl along with chocolate. Place bowl over barely simmering water while constantly stirring. Once melted remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk vigorously for 1 minute until well combined. Add melted chocolate along with salt and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Add almonds and candied orange peel. Spread batter evenly into cake pan.
- Place in oven and bake until center of brownies feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger, about 43-45 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool completely. Run a knife around edges of pan. Place a sheet of parchment on the surface of brownies followed by a large cutting board. Turn upside down and remove pan.
- If you desire to have high-end bakery precise cuts place the brownies in the freezer for 1 hour before cutting. (Wrapped they can be frozen for a week.)
- Cut into desired pieces and if desired garnish with a strip of candied orange peel.
If you want to make this recipe totally from scratch, here's a recipe for homemade Candied Orange Peels.