Candy Corn Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Yellow food coloring
- Red food coloring
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Yellow nonpareils, for garnish
- Orange nonpareils, for garnish
- Candy corn, for garnish
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in egg, one at a time, until well combined. Beat in vanilla just until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and milk alternately in 3 parts, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, beating just until incorporated.
- Divide batter in half; tint one batch yellow with yellow food coloring and tint second batch orange by combining yellow and red food coloring.
- Scoop a spoonful of yellow batter evenly into the muffin tray. Top with orange batter to completely cover yellow batter. Place into oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- In bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add milk and vanilla, beating just until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, approximately 1-2 minutes. Use a small offset spatula or a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip to frost cupcakes, garnished with nonpareils and candy corn, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Chung-Ah Rhee @damndelicious.