Candy Sugar Skulls
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1-2 drops coconut, lemon or orange extract
- 1-2 drops food coloring (green, red, orange or yellow) optional
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1-2 drops of assorted food colorings
- You will also need candy sugar skull molds
- Combine sugar, meringue powder, water, desired extract and food coloring, if desired in a small bowl until well blended.
- Firmly press sugar mixture into skull-shaped molds. Let dry for 24 hours.
- To prepare icing: Combine powdered sugar and milk to desired spreading consistency; mixing until well blended. Divide into small bowls and add few drops of food coloring to each mixture for decorating skulls.
- Pop skulls out of molds. Decorate as desired with colored icings.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Candy sugar skulls are a traditional part of Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos) celebrations.
- The molds can be purchased online or in many craft stores.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments