Capirotada (Mexican Bread Pudding)
- 6 bolillos, torn in pieces
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 (4-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread bolillo pieces on a baking dish and bake 5-8 minutes until lightly browned and toasted.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a large sauce saucepan, combine 2 cups brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, star anise and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Strain; set aside.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer 1/2 of bread pieces and sprinkle with 1/2 of raisins, pecans or walnuts, and cheese.
- Repeat the second layering, finishing with a cheese.
- Carefully pour syrup over the entire dish.
- Bake 30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com