- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 envelopes gelatin (3 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/3 cup room temperature water
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lbs chocolate candy coating
- Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with greased parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add butter and allow to melt on low heat. Once butter is melted, add sugar, salt, corn syrup and 1 cup of heavy cream. Clip a thermometer to the side of the pot and turn heat to medium and allow mixture to boil and reach 240°F.
- Once it comes to temperature, add the second cup of heavy cream. Let mixture boil again and come to 245°F or "firm ball" stage.
- Remove caramel from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Pour immediately into prepared pan. Refrain from scraping the sides of the pot because there may be some discoloration. Allow to cool and set up for 30 minutes while preparing marshmallow layer.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine gelatin and 1/3 cup room temperature water, fit with whip attachment and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine sugar and 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water and cover with a lid. Boil for 3 minutes and remove lid. Attach a thermometer on side of pan and boil until syrup reaches 240°F. Do not stir syrup as this may cause it to crystallize.
- Remove from heat, engage mixer in medium speed and while whipping pour hot syrup in a slow and steady stream onto whipped gelatin. Once all combined engage mixer in high speed. Add salt.
- Whip until mixture feels lukewarm and looks like marshmallow fluff, about 8-12 minutes. Stop mixer and scrape marshmallow mixture on top of prepared caramels, spreading into an even layer.
- Cover pan very tightly with plastic wrap and allow candy to set overnight at room temperature.
- Once Caramallows are set, cut into 1" squares. Melt chocolate candy coating in a large microwave-safe bowl according to manufacturer's instructions. Using two forks, dip Caramallows into chocolate and coat all sides, tap excess chocolate off and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet or platter. Allow Caramallows to set for about 30 minutes before transferring to a serving tray.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Kraft @SprinkleSomeSugar.