Caramel Apple Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 apples, Golden Delicious or Granny Smith
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix eggs until foamy. Add sugar and beat on high speed mix until thick and fluffy. Gradually add oil and then vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and add to egg mixture. Mix until just combined, scrape well and mix briefly.
- Peel apples and slice in quarters. Remove core and cut in 4 slices. Cut slices to obtain cubes. Add to cake mix along with pecans. Mix to combine.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and place in oven until center bounces back when lightly pressed or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 75 minutes. Cover cake with aluminum foil if it becomes too dark.
- Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes and turn upside down on a serving tray.
- For caramel topping, combine ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 9-12 minutes while constantly stirring. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour on warm or cooled cake.
Tip: For a healthier cake, use healthy oil such as grapeseed or olive oil (not extra virgin). Both oils are excellent in any baking application which requires oil.