Caramel Apple Pear Pie with Salted Pecan Caramel Sauce
- 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, orange liquor or water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Granny Smith apples, large size
- 3 large Bosc pears
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + a pinch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare pie dough and use half of dough to line a 9-inch pie tin. Keep other half of dough refrigerated. Place pie tin on a foil lined cookie sheet for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter and your choice of liquor (or water) to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, add vanilla, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- Peel and quarter apples then cut each quarter crosswise in 6-7 slices and place in bowl. Cut pears same way and add to apples. Pour cooked mixture over fruit. If it is too thick or if crystals have formed, reheat slightly to make more fluid.
- Add flour to fruit and stir to combine.
- Arrange filling in a huge dome shape in middle of piecrust. Use all the filling. It may seem to be more than needed but filling will settle during baking.
- Brush edges of pie crust with water. Place remaining crust onto pie and cut away excess dough.
- Pinch edges and cut a few decorative steam escape holes on surface. Brush surface with water and sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar.
- Place in oven and bake until filling makes thick honey-like bubbles, 90-100 minutes. Remove from oven. If surface of pie gets too dark cover with a sheet of aluminum foil.
- For sauce: In a saucepan combine cream, butter, brown sugar, salt and stir to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 2-3 minutes. Once cooled add vanilla and pecans.
- Cut pie in wedges and place on plates. Heat sauce until lukewarm and drizzle sauce on each slice. Serve with ice cream if desired.