Caramel Apple Toffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 can (20 oz) can apple pie filling, diced
- 1 1/2 cups toffee chips, divided
- 1 1/4 cups caramel sauce, divided
- 1 (16 oz) whipped cream topping or Crème Chantilly
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both sugars. Add butter and vegetable oil, stirring to combine. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract, whisk till smooth.
- Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, whisking until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into prepared baking dish. Spread top of batter with apple pie filling and sprinkle with 1 cup toffee chips. Pour remaining batter on top and spread to the edges with a spatula. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, until the cake is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven. While still hot, poke holes in the top of the cake with a fork or straw. Pour 1 cup caramel sauce over the top.
- Allow cake to cool completely, about 45 minutes. Top with whipped cream topping, drizzle with remaining caramel sauce and sprinkle with toffee chips.
- Serve immediately or cover cake and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.