Caramel Gingersnap Cheesecake
- Swedish Gingersnaps
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3, (8 oz) packages cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 16-ounce container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Crème Chantilly
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup half-half
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Crush enough baked gingersnaps to obtain a generous cup. Mix in melted butter and press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan. Place in oven for 10 minutes and remove. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place springform pan on 3 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan tightly with foil. Ensure that no water can penetrate thru foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed, alternatively mix by using a handheld spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl and beater between additions.
- Add sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour about one fourth of the filling in springform pan. Place about 6-7 gingersnaps onto filling. Cover with another one fourth of filling and place another 6-7 gingersnaps on top. Repeat with another one fourth of filling and gingersnaps. Cover with remaining batter. Do not place gingersnaps on surface.
- Pour water into roasting pan about one inch high and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan, about 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Once properly cooled remove the pan from cake. Prepare Crème Chantilly. Decorate surface and using a touch of Crème Chantilly, stick gingersnaps on sides of cheesecake.
- Prepare caramel. In a saucepan bring all ingredients excluding vanilla to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes ensuring that mixture will not boil over. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Cool caramel before spreading it onto cheesecake.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments