Caramel Pecan Chocolate Cups
- 1 pound dark chocolate bark candy
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces, lightly toasted and chopped
- Melt chocolate in top half of a double boiler over simmering water. Brush chocolate up sides and bottom of foil candy cups or mini-muffin tins. Let set for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil, brushing down sugar crystals from sides of pan with pastry brush that has been dipped in water. Do not stir. Boil until syrup reaches 250°F on a candy thermometer.
- Add butter and wait until mixture begins to boil again. Stirring constantly, pour in hot cream. Continue cooking and stirring mixture until it reaches 245°F on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and add vanilla and salt. Stir in toasted pecans and let cool to room temperature.
- Reheat chocolate if necessary. Spoon a small amount of pecan caramel into chocolate cups. Cover tops with chocolate to seal. Let stand until set (about 30 minutes) or chill in refrigerator.
- Store in covered containers at room temperature.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- If using a mini-muffin tin, when ready to serve, put the tin in the freezer for a few minutes and the candies will pop right out.
- This recipe was originally published in the 1990 holiday edition of Homemade Good News.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments