Caramel Pecan Fudge Tart
- 1 stick unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
Pecan Caramel Filling
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Ganache/Fudge Layer
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips, best quality (55-60% cocoa mass)
- 2 tablespoons any nut or orange liqueur or water
- 12 pecan halves
- 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and on low speed mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing one or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area.
- Set aside an 8- or 9-inch tart or pie pan.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire tart pan. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick bottom of tart with a fork and place in oven. After about 5 minutes check tart, if a bubble on the bottom is developing prick it with a fork. If an area of sides of tart has slid down, press it back up. Return to oven and bake until light golden and baked tart shell is shrinking away from metal pan. Total baking time will be about 12-15 minutes.
- For filling, in a small saucepan stir sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil. Once boiling, do not stir mixture. Place a lid on pan for 1 minute to trap steam which will make any sugar crystals stuck on sides of pan slide down. Remove lid.
- Boil without stirring to a golden honey color. Meanwhile heat whipping cream in a microwave oven or in a saucepan until boiling hot.
- When syrup is golden, remove it from heat and carefully pour in heated cream. Lots of steam will be created. If there are any caramel lumps, place mixture back on heat for a minute while whisking.
- Add pecans, butter, salt, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Scrape mixture onto bottom of baked tart shell and set aside.
- For Chocolate Ganache/Fudge Layer, in a saucepan bring to a boil whipping cream and sugar. Once boiling remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until very smooth. Add liqueur or water.
- Pour mixture onto pecan caramel layer and place tart in refrigerator.
- After a few hours the tart can be served. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and garnish with pecans.